Monday, March 16, 2020

Hello, first grade friends!

Darla did the calendar for us today!  It is March 16, 2020.  She is practicing her Spanish with the books Mrs. Leavitt gave us.  Her favorite new word for today is oso, which means "bear".  Darla is a girl bear, so she is an osa.



I am mailing home a copy of your login card so that you can use some of the programs from the Symbaloo.  Don't forget that we have links here on the blog as well! :D

Check out my new friend! :D


Today's math challenge is:
Roll 3 dice, or roll one die 3 times.  Combine two of the numbers to make a number bond, then add the third one to find the sum of all three.  Were you able to make a ten with two of the numbers?  Here's what it looked like when I tried this challenge:

I rolled 5 + 6 + 4

I made a number bond out of the 6 and the 4: 6 + 4 = 10

Then, it was easy to add!  10 + 5 = 15

(If you don't have any dice, you can ask someone in your house to tell you three numbers that are less than ten.)

Iditarod Update: The lead musher has reached Unalakleet!  Just a few checkpoints remain until they reach Nome...which day do you predict the winner will arrive?


Weather Wise: I also found some fun weather experiments that you can try at home!  Email some pictures to me if you do! https://www.weareteachers.com/best-weather-activities/

Book Order: If you ordered books, I will make sure to get those to you as soon as I can.

What have you been doing today?  I have been here at school, getting some things ready to email to your parents and finding some books to read aloud to you on video.  There will be some links soon on the school district site where you can go online, choose some fun activities from a menu, and even see me and some other educators reading stories aloud!  I will be learning how to post some videos here on our blog as well.

I'm going to go home in a few minutes to see my family, but I will be thinking of you and finding some more fun things to share with you!  Watch for a new blog post tomorrow!  I'll let your parents know when it is ready!

Love,
Mrs. Cole :) <3 (and Darla)